Tuesday, October 30, 2007

1 John Part 4

Obedience vs. Disobedience: What Does it Show and What are the Consequences?

We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. 1 John 2:3-5a

Obedience shows that we have come to know God, but disobedience shows that you are lying if you claim to know God. Why is this?

I can think of a few reasons why this is true, but I can not claim that this is a comprehensive list. I'm sure there are many benefits of obedience of which I am unaware, and the same goes for consequences of disobedience. If you come to know God's great care and concern for you, you will trust him and consequently obey him. If you come to know God's sovereignty, power, justice, holiness, and hatred of sin, you will avoid disobedience.

Have you been acquainted with the great rewards and deep joy of obedience to God? Then you know him and will obey him all the more. Have you experienced the sting of his judgment or the consequences of stumbling in the darkness? Then you will turn and obey.

God's love made complete

If I obey God's word, his love is made complete in me(v5)? How is God's love incomplete if I am disobedient? Isn't God's love the same always? I believe that this means that God's love will be able to bear fruit in our lives if we are obedient. If we are not obedient, then God's love does not have the opportunity to have the impact that it was intended to have. Therefore it remains incomplete in us.

1 comment:

JudyBright said...

It seems like I can write about this stuff but not live it out. I wish it were the other way around.