Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Jude Part 1

A Friend and a Brother

Jesus had two brothers that we read about, Jude and James. These two called him Lord and God as well. What would it have been like to live with Jesus on earth as a brother? Do we as Christians now have that same privilege? Romans 8:29 says that Jesus is the firstborn among many brothers.

Romans 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

I often hesitate to think of Jesus this way since he is God. I believe it is in our nature as humans to struggle with this personal and intimate nature of God revealed in Jesus Christ. How can someone who is Creator and Master of the universe be our friend and brother?

Jesus also said that we can be his friend. He called Lazarus his friend in John 11:11. Jesus said specifically that he died for his friends.

John 15:13-15 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

The greatest love ever shown you was that your friend died for you. If you are a believer and a Christian, then Jesus is your friend, and you are his friend. You have had a friend die for you- the best person you’ve ever known- your very favorite friend has died for you.


No comments: